The Piney Creek Chapter, NSDAR, was organized on December 11, 2004, with 21 members. Today, we have 35 members and several pending with research. The name Piney Creek was chosen from the once prominent creek that flowed through this area. In addition to the historic Piney Creek, the Melvin schoolhouse is shown in our chapter logo. It preserves the memory of John G. Melvin, one of the area's first permanent settlers.
Visit The History of The Melvin School
History of the Piney Creek Area
For centuries, native American Indians roamed and hunted the land along Piney Creek. Descendants of early settlers recount many tales of the Arapahoe Indian camps along its northern bank. They tell how, as children, they scoured the area looking for arrowheads following heavy rains each Spring.
The white man arrived in the Piney Creek area around 1859 when gold was discovered in the Rockies. Hoping to strike it rich, thousands of immigrants poured over an ancient Indian trail that traversed Kansas along the Smoky Hill River to the new supply town of Denver. This main “highway” to the gold fields of the Rockies became known as the Smoky Hill Trail. Near the present day city of Limon, in Eastern Colorado, this trail divided into three branches. The shortest, and the most treacherous, route to Denver continued along the trail’s middle branch. One section of this harsh trail followed a stream bed along the north bank of Piney Creek. Until commencement of construction to build a housing subdivision, pronounced trail ruts from the wagons of these early settlers could still be seen.
Today, Piney Creek is located in the southern most portion of 700 acres of a planned community that bears its name. It lies east of Parker Road at Orchard in South Arapahoe County.